Due to COVID-19, YMCA Swimming Lessons look a little different than you’re used to, for the safety of our members and staff. Learn more about our current options below!
YMCA Swim School takes a safety-first approach, focusing on small class sizes, boosting confidence in the water, building student/instructor relationships, and allowing each student to progress at their own pace. Our lessons develop aquatic readiness and safe water habits, engage in underwater exploration, and teach children important water safety skills. We offer warm water options, year-round lessons, certified instructors, private and adaptive options, and more!
The YMCA provides swimming lessons to swimmers of all ages and skill levels. We also offer private lessons, semi-private lessons, and adaptive swim programs for swimmers with special needs, so we can all safely enjoy the pleasures of an aquatic environment.
Swim School Schedules and Sessions
In order to keep our members and staff safe, ONLY Private Lessons are being offered at this time. All levels of experience welcome!
Sessions & Dates
|July 6 – 16||Monday through Thursday||9:30, 10:00, and 10:30am||1 lesson slot/timeframe|
|July 20 – 30||Monday through Thursday||9:30, 10:00, and 10:30am||3 lesson slots/timeframe|
|August 3 – 13||Monday through Thursday||9:30, 10:00, and 10:30am||3 lesson slots/timeframe|
|July 20 – August 3||Tuesday and Thursday||5:00, 5:30, 6:00, and 6:30pm||3 lesson slots/timeframe|
|Fercho YMCA||Ages 6 months – Adult||Members: $240, Non-Members: 480|
Members of the same household may take lessons together. To learn more about this option, contact Katie King at 701.364.4168 or email@example.com
More Information About YMCA Swim School
Jump in at any time! You can register for lessons even after a session has started. Prices will be pro-rated for classes that have already passed.
Make-Up Lessons: Due to the size and format of the classes, there will be no make-ups for missed classes.
Lesson Placement and Level Assessments: Level placement is based on skill level, not age. To determine what level your child should be in, view either the Lesson Level Flowchart or the Red Cross (and Old Y levels) to YMCA Level Equivalents. Or join us for Swim Level Assessments, every Saturday in the Small Pool from 12:00-12:30pm. A swim instructors will cover skills, test endurance and answer any questions you might have. Assessments are FREE and open to the community – no need to pay for a day pass. Saturday doesn’t work for you? Reach out to our Swimming Lesson Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org or 701.364.4168 and we’ll figure out a time that fits your schedule.
YMCA Swim School Advantages and Structure
• Skill Patch Rewards: As each child progresses at their own pace, they will be recognized for their accomplishments with patches from the level they’ve completed.
• Warm Water Small Pool Option: Levels Parent/Baby through Starfish are located in the smaller, warm water pool. The 88º pool keeps children comfortable and staying in the water. Levels Froggie through Shark are located in our large pool. Private and Adaptive lessons vary from small to large pool, depending on the participant and pool availability.
• Small Class Sizes: Classes are held as a group and structured by age and ability to accommodate varying skill levels within each age group. Student to teacher ratios are a very small 4:1 with Parent/Baby and Parent/Child classes 6:1.
• Certified Swim Lesson Instructors: The swim teachers are highly trained in safety, class management and keeping children engaged with enthusiasm, imagination and fun! All teachers are also CPR and First Aid certified.
• Year-Round Swimming: Consistency and practice are key to fine-tuning or retaining any skill on a more permanent basis. With our indoor pools, children can swim year-round and consistently build upon and progress in their skills.
• Safety Day: Included once per session with all independent lessons, Safety Day teaches the ‘Throw Don’t Go’ method, life jacket usage, and for older participants, swimming fully clothed to gain an awareness of the level of difficulty.
Safety Around Water
Teaching children how to be safe around water is not a luxury; it is a necessity. Drowning can happen nearly anywhere with standing water – but, as a parent or caregiver, you can’t keep your children sidelined. You need to equip them with the tools they need to be confident in and around water so they don’t lose out on the health benefits of exercise, the opportunities to bond with family and friends and the sense of accomplishment when they learn new skills.
Check out our Safety Around Water page to help keep you, your children, and our community safe while playing in and around the water!
For more information about YMCA Swim School, contact Katie King at 701.364.4168 or email@example.com